Presented by: CWEA-Los Angeles
Water/Wastewater Instrumentation Workshop
The Fundamentals of Process Instrumentation
This popular one day ISA/WEF workshop is heading to California for the first time. Effective process control extends beyond the addition of analyzers. Other issues that need to be addressed include selecting the optimal measurement locations, developing or adopting appropriate control strategies, and maintaining the analyzers.
The workshop will be broken up into two blocks; the first block of the workshop will provide a review of the technologies and principles used in instrumentation that is available for meeting on-line process analytical needs for ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, pH, ORP, dissolved oxygen, suspended solids, turbidity and chlorine.
The second block discusses how to properly apply and maintain these analytical technologies in order to maximize the quality of data they provide, with an understanding of how this impacts cost-of-ownership. We will conclude with an open forum of questions and answers.
- Understand the fundamental measurement principles utilized for the most prevalent analytical instruments utilized in Water Resource Recovery Facilities, including; ammonia, phosphate and nitrate analyzers.
- Define the difference between monitoring and control, and which technologies are applicable to each term.
- Recognize technology limitations, and how they can affect measurements.
- Identify potential errors and interferences for the technologies, and how they influence measurements.
- Discover how position and control strategy of installed instrumentation in the basins affect the measured parameter and efficiency of the treatment process.
This workshop is organized by the Los Angeles Basin section, please contact them with questions. Please don’t contact CWEA headquarters.
8:00 a.m. – Registration, Coffee and Continental Breakfast
8:30-10:05 a.m. – Welcome – Charles Aycock, ISA/WEF Workshop organizer, City of Roseville
8:30-10:05 a.m. – pH, ORP, DO, Turbidity, TSS Fundamentals – Melody White, Hach; Steven Smith, Endress + Hauser
10:25 a.m. – Noon – Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphorous, Chlorine Fundamentals – Tracy Doane-Weideman, Endress + Hauser; Bob Dabkowski, Hach
1:00-2:15 p.m. – Problem Solving Using Instrumentation Fundamentals – Bob Dabkowski, Hach; Steven Smith, Endress + Hauser
2:15 p.m. Break
2:30-3:30 p.m. – Instrumentation – Cost of Ownership – Charles Aycock, City of Roseville